A Travellerspoint blog

Chicago - An indoor tornado & baby chicks.

View World Tour on Explorer_T's travel map.

Wednesday 18th May

The new hostel was great. If anyone ever visits Chicago and intends to stay in a hostel, I’d definitely recommend The Getaway Hostel. This place is nice. Straight away it looks cool, the logo is pretty swish and when I entered I realised it was worth being a little outside of the centre of the city. The hostel was modern looking; mostly white inside and super clean. There were arty pictures on the walls of famous people from Chicago such as Al Capone. Free hotdog & hamburger nights, score. Free wifi that was useable in the dorm room. I was happy. The hostel wasn’t the cheapest so I booked for the cheapest room which as always, is a fairly big dorm. I think there was room for about 10 or 12 people in my dorm, but it was never full.

I had an early night the night before as I wasn’t feeling a hundred per cent and I didn’t feel any worse on this day so that was a plus. I slept in to mid-morning and then set out for my first attraction: the science museum. Officially the science & industry museum I think.

The hostel was quite a bit north of the main central bulk of Chicago city but it was a fairly quick fifteen minute ride on their metro service. Plus the area that the hostel was in had its own shops and bars that were cheaper than the expensive city shops. I got a metro three day pass and set off for the museum. It was a little awkward to get to; I had to get a metro train and then a bus that took about forty minutes because it went in and out of a lot of housing areas.

I arrived at the science museum excited and ready for SCIENCE. I’d also wanted to go to see the Body Worlds Exhibition that was at the museum but it doubled the price of admission so I didn’t bother as it was expensive already.

This is how a science museum should be done. Full of hands-on things; it was like a museum for kids, but for big kids if you had the actual interest in the science behind the cool things you’re doing. The only annoying thing was the actual kids themselves, running around screaming. It made me wish they had adult-only days in the museums, and that this day was one of them.

The museum had an indoor tornado maker, that’s how cool it was. It was maybe around 30ft in height and had different controls to change the aspects of the tornado. Of course I couldn’t get near the damn controls due to hordes of kids though. I stood behind them, politely smiling to their parents and other adults as if I was okay with letting the kids play with a tornado, when in reality I wanted to pick them up and throw them in to the tornado and then set it on full power. It was cool to watch anyway; not jealous. I’m pretty sure all the other male adults were thinking the same thing, who wouldn’t?

A minor personal problem: Being the massive kid that I am I had trouble sticking to one thing at a time. I’d walk up to an attraction thing - like a hands-on with magnets or something - it would look interesting and fun, and I’d either start playing straight away or read the instructions etc., but then I’d see something further down the room; for example the massive indoor tornado! I couldn’t stand still and concentrate for long at all. As soon as I got to one thing I’d be fidgeting in my stance and trying not to avert my gaze. It made for a pretty weird route taken around the museum; skipping things out, coming back to something twice, circling round many times etc etc.

There were many cool things at the museum including a huge tesla coil up high in the building. There were seats arranged underneath which leaned backwards so you could look up and watch the huge currents of electricity go mental for a few minutes on the hour; like an indoor lightning storm. Other cool things included a landslide simulator, a wave simulator and… baby chicks! There was a big glass object that was attracting a lot of attention so I went over to check it out. The first half had lots of eggs in it; some were wobbling slightly, and some had cracks in. So everybody was eager to watch some little baby chicks hatch. The other half had chicks that were newly born; they were bright yellow and hilarious to watch as they attempted to figure out their new world. I stayed for about fifteen minutes because one of the eggs was starting to crack open. Ten minutes later the little nearly-born chick hadn’t got much further in breaking out of its capsule and I got a bit bored after I realised it was going to take a while. A member of staff came over and told everybody that it can take up to 8 or 9 hours for them to fully hatch (!), which obviously resulted in my and many others’ departure.

There were famous quotes by scientists on the walls; one of which is one of my favourite quotes and I was excited to see, by the great astronomer Carl Sagan: ‘Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.’’ Love it - the quote encompasses what I love about the nature of curiosity and the objective of science to find out the answers.

I said earlier that I didn’t opt to go to the Body Worlds Exhib, but in the end I still got to see some similar ‘exhibits’ in the actual museum itself which was interesting: such things as a whole human body shown only by the blood vessels etc.

I spent most of the day in the museum and then started to head out in the late afternoon. On the walk out of the museum I was behind an Asian girl/woman (in her twenties; woman sounds too old but girl sounds too young) and saw her asking some people on the way where the bus stop was to get back to the city centre. We ended up at the bus stop near each other and I asked if she was staying in the same hostel - there aren’t too many decent ones listed in Chicago so I thought there may be a good chance she was. It turned out she wasn’t but we got talking on the bus journey which helped pass the time. I was a bit gutted straight away because her English wasn’t great, but we managed some general talk about travelling around America etc.
I forget her name now even though she’s on my Facebook somewhere. She was from Korea and was staying with a few other Koreans in a small hotel a few stops further on the metro than my hostel.

On the metro she suddenly declared, ‘’we are getting dinner together, yes?’’ I was a little taken aback at the way she said it, but agreed as I didn’t have any other plans and we got off the metro a few stops in and found a place to eat. The meal was nice (chicken breast with mushrooms in a sauce) and the conversation slightly lacking. Her English was pretty limited so we didn’t have much in the way of interesting conversation. She was keen to meet up again the following day this time with her other friends. We swapped names for Facebook and I warned I might not be able to as I was still not feeling well and didn’t know if I was going to get worse yet.

We parted ways when I got off the metro and I thought I probably wouldn’t see her again; partly due to thinking I was going to feel like crap the next day, but also partly due to the fact I couldn’t be bothered giving the definition to every other word that I said. Actually, something I’ve learned on my travels about myself that I didn’t know before is that I’m pretty good at dealing with people that aren’t great at speaking English; I automatically speak slower and use simpler words without really knowing (but inadvertently end up sounding like a foreigner myself). A lot of people get impatient straight away but I seem to be pretty okay at it. However, there is a line when their English is so limited that normal conversation just can’t be had, and this, unfortunately was over that line. Still, it was nice and interesting for what it was – an ad-hoc meet with a new person and a nice meal.

I got back to the hostel still not feeling great and got myself an early night and planned to get a nice lie in again.

Posted by Explorer_T 00:15 Archived in USA Comments (0)

Chicago - The windy city.

Possibly coming down with illness & injury, I trawl the streets of Chicago.

View World Tour on Explorer_T's travel map.

Tuesday 17th May

I woke up Tuesday hung over but well slept. I didn’t even hear Sarah and her friend leaving in the early hours. Unfortunately for Sarah she had to drive her friend to where she needed to go, gutted. Glad I got to sleep in a nice comfy double bed till nearly lunch time.

Sarah was most probably going to head back to Detroit today - but later on in the day - so we could spend the last day together before we parted; hungover, an apt last day that fittingly encompassed our time together.

One of our main missions among the general wandering around in Chicago was to visit the Hancock Tower. For those who don’t know… The Hancock Tower… is a big fucking building, basically. I can’t remember any specifics, how high or anything but it was always talked about and advertised so it was on our list of things to do. We headed out into the warm but windy streets with no knowledge of where to go or where we were located in the city. I had an idea where my hostel was relative to the city attractions but not this hotel that she’d booked us into. So what we did was look for a big fucking building and headed towards it. The trouble with these great tall cities is that you can be looking for the most obvious looking tallest fattest building in the world, but you can be trapped and caged in within smaller, but still massively lofty structures. Anyway we spotted what looked like the tallest nicest thing in sight and attempted to head there. It took us a while and unfortunately when we got there it wasn’t the right one, it was some Donald Trump shrine to himself. Luckily we found a city map with the handy ‘You Are Here’ (…in the wrong place) locator and we saw the error of our ways and headed north.

I was seriously hungover again today and starting to feel the onset of a cold. Cold-by-Consumption…of alcohol. Too many heavy nights in quick succession combined with a diet that consisted of junk takeaway food was catching up with me. I saw the grim reaper in fancy dress as Ronald McDonald, holding an empty beer bottle with a disapproving tut heading toward me fast.

For some reason my toe started to really hurt too, to the point I was starting to limp. I managed to take a look at it after a while and saw that it was all red and swollen, but no blister to be seen. I put some tissue around it and carried on. ‘’Ignore it and it will go away.’’ – Dr. Killeen.

We arrived at the Hancock tower and paid our fee to go to the clouds. We each got a headset to be used as our tour guide of the city views - voiced by Ross (David Schwimer) from Friends.
The view was impressive to say the least; Chicago is a really nice looking city. One side of the city is befriended by one of the Great Lakes, so big that it just looks like the ocean. Even at this height you don’t get any hint of the water ending in the distance. On another side is a big green park area that I later learned (and visited) is a zoo.

It was afternoon time and we’d visited the tower and had a pretty decent walk around the main city streets including The Magnificent Mile (the main shopping street) which was crazy windy. It was a pretty nice day, not super-hot but fairly warm, but when you got on a certain street, especially this one, it was really chilly because of the wind. The wind is pretty constant I think, because of the nearby great lake. The street was filled with people in scarves and long coats; that if worn on another near-by street, would have been too warm. So there I was gripping on to my hat in my shorts, freezing. But not for too long fortunately.

Unfortunately it was time to part from my cousin. We picked up her car and she kindly dropped me off at my new hostel. She was leaving but I had the rest of the week to stay in the city. We said our goodbyes and I thanked her for everything. She left Chicago to carry on her awesome life in Detroit as a forensic scientist, and I entered my new home, ready to meet my new friends in the new city of CHI-CA-GO!


Posted by Explorer_T 20:34 Archived in USA Tagged chicago hancock_tower Comments (0)

8 Mile, firing guns in Detroit and partying in Chicago.

View World Tour on Explorer_T's travel map.

Monday 16th May

Guns. Terrible things. Tools of death with no other use than to fire a metal projectile in to the flesh of another living thing and end life. Gimme one!

I think I mentioned in an earlier blog that I wanted to try fire a gun whilst in America. The use of guns is somewhat of a symbol of America for me and many others from England, so this would be the place for me to try and fire one. The time had come.

I don’t agree with the use of guns and indeed the gun laws in America, but I can’t deny that I was excited to use one of these monstrous inventions. It’s hard to explain exactly why I had the excitement of a child getting a new toy but I couldn’t wait to fire one. I think it tickles an inner beast spot that lies dormant in a lot of us. Why do we try to re-enact conflicts on video games, by going paintballing, why do we enjoy war movies/books, or movies/books with lots of gore – why is that entertainment? I don’t know why it is but it is.

Of course my excitement wasn’t to fire a gun at an actual living being, man or animal. I had always wanted to fire a gun since being a child, what little boy doesn’t? We get cowboy guns and army guns as toys, who wouldn’t want the real thing? It’s a pretty weird thing actually; that there are so many children’s toys that are guns and things involved with killing etc.

Anyway, these thoughts weren’t at the front of my mind when I held the 12 gauge shotgun in my hands and fired a shot at the paper target. Yes i got to fire a shotgun, and yes it was pretty awesome. I was instructed to firmly place the back end against my shoulder and be prepared for the recoil. It had a fair kick I can tell you that. The coolest bit when you fire the shotgun is when smoke comes out and you get to cock the gun which makes the empty shell fly out of the side of the gun. I was Arnold Schwarzenegger, I was Sylvester Stallone. I felt the need to light up a fat cigar and put on some aviator sunglasses.

I also got to fire two different hand guns; one being a huge revolver. The barrel on that thing was massive. I was Clint Eastwood. The second hand gun was a Glock. In between these two levels of power was a variation of the famous AK47 gun. This one was all black and semi-automatic.

It was kind of weird to fire the guns in that it didn’t really feel like this thing in my hands could actually very easily kill someone (or lots of people). It felt very separate to those weapons you see on the news killing people.

A visit to the 8 Mile road took place, initially not very exciting – it really is just a road that is 8 miles long. If it was back home it would probably be put to good use for charity fun runs. But not here, not here. That would be dangerous. We pulled over next to an 8 mile road sign and quickly jumped out so I could have a photo. We also quickly jumped back in the car. We went into the trailer park where Eminem used to live. It was the middle of the day but we still had our doors locked. It didn’t look as crappy as I thought it would, but it was still obviously a bunch of people living in trailers in a very rough and poor area so after a brisk lap of the area we got out of there.

Next on the agenda was a several hour drive to my next destination, Chicago. Sarah very generously offered to drive me there - In fact, to drive us both there as she was going to come along for a night too. Her good friend that I’d already met was in Chicago for the week on some work thing so the plan was for us all to go out in Chicago. Cool.

The car journey to Chicago was great. Sarah and I share separate views on a certain issue. The issue being religion. Anyone that knows me fairly well will know that I am an atheist as a standard, but more recently, I’ve become a bit of a vocal critic of religion. We hadn’t really spoken of the issue until this journey. I asked many questions about her religious beliefs and her church. I was especially interested in Sarah’s story as she only became religious since coming to America, so I was really curious on the journey she had gone on. I did all the question asking and politely listened to all her answers. It wasn’t my objective to debate the subject so much but just to listen. It was very interesting and I think we both enjoyed the fact that we could freely discuss her faith. Every now and then I brought up issues that I had with religion and to be honest, most were unanswerable but I didn’t push the issue; I was just testing the waters I guess. I didn’t want to offend but I don’t think I could have anyway as she is pretty cool and I can’t imagine her getting angry with simple questions like some other religious people would.

The topic for most of the journey was religion but regardless of that specific topic, I really enjoy questioning people on any aspect of their lives that they have a passion for. I enjoy trying to figure people out.

Thinking out loud in general terms - and not to talk about my cousin specifically - but my unqualified, simplistic and very possibly wrong opinion for this new found religiousness can, I think, be compared to something I read concerning people moving countries, “…could well have embraced a church as a kind of kinsubstitue on alien soil.’’
I think that moving countries would be a stressful thing and people would feel that they need to fit in with their surroundings and the locals, whether it would be religious views, political views, or taste in movies - there would be gravitation to agree with opinions that are in the majority. I’m not saying everyone would do this, but there would be a natural urge to do so. If you didn’t do this change on some levels you can imagine that you might not make friends, you might offend your boss, you might end up not having a good time and end up moving back to a country that you left. I think that the action of becoming religious created a feeling of belonging in a new home.

I realise this isn’t your normal travel blog– I get distracted. On to Chicago eh.

Chicago seemed reminiscent of New York, but just slightly different. The big city feel was here with the huge buildings and busy streets. The streets seemed slightly cleaner than a lot of NYC but a certain part of the vibe of New York was missing. It’s hard to describe without going – so go!

Sarah had booked a hotel room for the three of us with two big beds. I get one to myself oh yeah. We got ready and set off for food and then drinks in Chicago. First thing, Chicago’s famous deep pan pizza. It was okay. I mean, it tasted nice and everything but it was just so thick (that’s what she said!) it was so thick that it didn’t really feel like a pizza, more like a huge pie. Needless to say, the one pizza completely filled all three of us.

On to the night out. Unfortunately I didn’t take my camera with me as I was wearing a pair of jeans that don’t take too kindly to any weight in the pockets without falling down. I’ve found it quite hard to dress up for proper nights out because well, I didn’t pack any smart clothing. I took one pair of jeans that instantly became too big around the waist as soon as I started walking every day (compared to the previous two years of my life working in an office) so I normally just stick to cheaper bars etc.

First place of drinkage was a piano bar enthusiastically recommended by Sarah’s friend. They had a dress policy, great. Oh no wait, I didn’t get turned away, I got given a suit jacket to wear. I’d never heard of this before, it made for good laughs anyway. The place turned out to suck anyway. The drinks were ridiculously expensive and the songs being sung by the female singer weren’t very good. She was surrounded by old men placing money in to a big champagne glass. They were really fascinated by her; I think because she herself was middle aged, they thought they had a chance. “Hey maybe if I drink expensive drinks and keep giving her money she’ll think I’m Not a sad old perv, and come home with me?!” She kind of reminded me of a slightly older version of that woman presenter on the Gadget Show. We only stayed for one drink and moved on.

We went to a piano bar that was quite fun. One thing I vividly remember was that there were two separate hen dos going on. One lot were partying like crazy, all dancing and laughing. The other group were all just sat at a table quietly drinking, watching the other group have loads of fun. Ouch.
I remember it so vividly for another funnier reason though, well funnier to me – the bride-to-be in the party group was so masculine. She looked just like James Franco (the guy from 127 Hours). I found it hilarious.

Without photographs and being pretty drunk its quite hard to remember all the details now but we had a good night and was out for a fair while. I spoke to a dude who told me he used to be in the Navy SEALs. …Bollocks mate. He resembled a fat seal and that was about as close he’d ever get.

The night ended with us in McDonalds drunkenly munching on burgers. We were all pretty drunk and it was very late. Somehow we got talking about politics. I hate talking about politics. I try to never talk about the subject. It turned out that Sarah’s friend was a supporter of the previous president, Bush. I laughed and insulted Bush as you do but she got really offended that I didn’t agree with her. When I didn’t convert to be Republican after her sell, she angrily called me closed minded, picked up my half eaten burger and, just for a moment, I thought she was going to throw or being at such close range, squash it into my face – luckily she didn’t, although I think she considered it; she just angrily popped it in my brown paper bag that it originally came in and then stormed out of McDonalds. I laughed, finished my burger and continued talking to my cousin for a fair while longer.

Although it could have been seen as rude or whatever I don’t hold it against her; it’s funny in hindsight - well, it was funny at the time too actually. She was very drunk (and to be honest, quite closed minded herself to not consider anyone else’s views). She was really nice and we got on well otherwise. You could tell that she was one of those people that is a terrible drunk. I reckon most of her nights end in arguments with someone, or something. I pictured her arguing with mailboxes and other such things on her way back to the hotel.
She was the most drunk out of the three of us, and unluckily for her she had to be up at 8am for a work thing; I anticipated the joyous feeling of staying in bed while she was having to get up.

After our food Sarah and I walked back to the hotel in daylight, got a little lost for a while but we made it.


Posted by Explorer_T 01:25 Archived in USA Tagged religion chicago drunk detroit guns eminem 8_mile atheist piano_bar Comments (0)

The Lord's Day of Rest

View World Tour on Explorer_T's travel map.

Sunday 15th May

Sunday. The Lord’s Day of rest. Maybe he was drinking for over 12 hours straight on Saturday too. This was going to be a major day of rest for me. I was seriously hung over. I slept most of the day, only rising in the late afternoon. Sarah being the caring loving cousin that she is volunteered to go out and get us some food. I was going to try what is apparently one of the best hangover cures; Taco Bell. Indeed it was pretty great; cheap, processed, dirty fast food – always good for a hangover! I had some snack box thing that consisted of three separate types of wraps. I would have a bite every now and then to ensure I didn’t eat too much and maybe throw it all back up. I lazed there watching TV all afternoon and by the evening I started to feel slightly human again.

Sarah was asking what I wanted to do for the evening but I wasn’t up for much movement. We decided to go for some steak – yeaah. That got me up. The venue of choice was a new one to me; Outback. Outback is an Australian themed chain steakhouse. It was a double win as the basketball was on some of the many TVs in the place too. The food at this place was great for someone who loves steak. The portions were huge, the steaks juicy, the drinks refillable and with it being a chain restaurant, the prices were good too. I got a topping on my steak of mushroom & lobster sauce, it was better than what you had for dinner.

I started to realise how America has taken convenience to a new level from what I had previously seen. Sarah needed to withdraw some cash – no problem, drive-thru ATMs were everywhere. They were kind of set up like a petrol station but in the middle blocks instead of petrol it was cash machines. There was lots of room in Detroit. Lots of space with nothing in it, so a big square complex just for an ATM wasn’t noticeably wasting space. I needed to post some postcards – no problem, drive-by mail boxes at the side of the road. They have it right really – why wouldn’t you make things convenient?

To describe Detroit City in general? Run down. Lots of closed down stores, lots of broken glass. It's also kind of empty for a big city; in places it resembled an apocalypse movie. Most people live just outside of the main city, including my cousin.

The whole day was a right-off really. Apart from the little venture to eat, that was all I did. I returned back to the sofa and not long after, bed.

Shortest blog of the journey, tick.

The next day would involve shooting guns and going to Chicago. Very Excite!

Posted by Explorer_T 23:00 Archived in USA Tagged detroit Comments (0)

Detroit - Baseball game & a night out in Detroit!

View World Tour on Explorer_T's travel map.

Entry 17 Sat 14th May

It was a supremely welcomed change to sleep in a comfy bed with a whole room to myself. I could empty my backpack out and hang things up. Only two weeks in and living out of a backpack was already something I wish I could do away with. I was able to wash and dry my clothes for free and enjoy the feeling of carpet on my feet. My cousin’s house was really nice and homey; I felt comfortable straight away and I already knew I’d miss that when I left.

My cousin Sarah moved over to America several years ago and is now living & working around the area of Detroit as a forensic scientist for the police force. Impressive I know. What a place to work as a forensic scientist; the home of crime – Detroit. I was eager to find out details and she told me some great stories involving herself and her colleagues. One to note would be that one of her colleagues had arrested Eminem a few times back when he was a trouble maker. Apparently he was always getting beaten up and the police had to go save him many times. I planned to stay for the weekend or a long weekend so we would have plenty of time to go visit Eminem’s old trailer park and the 8 Mile road. A few ‘attractions’ that I don’t think most backpackers get to visit!

I was informed of today’s plans which sounded great: go watch a baseball game and then a night out. We first went to a bar in Detroit for drinks and snacks where I met a bunch of her friends and friends of friends. Unknown to me at first was that this was a girl’s birthday bash type thing; the whole day’s plans – so lots of people came. The drinking had started early at 2pm. We stayed at the bar for a couple of hours and then headed off to the local baseball ground. The Detroit Tigers were the team I was to support; I had even donned one of Sarah’s Tigers jerseys. The stadium was cool from the outside; huge tigers in leaping poses were atop of the stadium as well as an enormous tiger right at the centre which was surrounded by photograph taking supporters.

Baseball is a sport that has never interested me, nor anyone I’ve ever known closely. My exposure to the sport consists of about a total of 20 minutes viewing time in my life. That only happened from flicking through the TV channels late at night and ending up on Channel 5 for a short time; normally either waiting for something else to start or probably being too drunk or lazy to turn over for a few minutes. The bits I had seen were boring at best and nothing much happened for long amounts of time. Incidentally I also have the same opinion of football, just to a slightly lesser extent.

I was told that going to watch a live game consisted mostly of getting drunk but I would have been happy to go anyway. Watching any sport live at the stadium is always better than on TV and I’d probably never go otherwise so why not. We entered the stadium and the atmosphere hit us instantly; it was great. A collective buzz of excitement was everywhere. A baseball game lasts quite a few hours so people go to the games as a full day out, and more accurately, a full day out drinking with your mates. I could see the attraction. People don’t wait for breaks to go get food, drinks or go for a walk - they go all the time. It’s very laid back and ironically almost just like you are at home and can freely get up and walk around at any time etc.

With it being Tara’s 30th (I think?) We had special access to the ‘Tiger Lounge’ - a kind of VIP bar and seating area. We all went up the elevators and carried on the drinking at the bar. The game was shown on TVs if you couldn’t be bothered to extend your gaze out of the windows. For quite a while I forgot we were even at a baseball game; we all chatted and drank beer and generally had a good time. Later on Sarah informed me that the game was nearing its final half an hour of play and we should go outside to our seats to watch it properly and so we did and we watched the Tigers win the game. The end was actually pretty exciting and I had a good time in the middle of thousands of drunk and excited Americans.

Game over we headed back to the lounge to find everyone else. On the way we asked a guy to take our photo with the scoreboard in the background. This man took possibly the worst photo in the history of the world. He must have been wasted. He had zoomed in so far that our faces filled the screen, and then only taken it from our noses upwards! My British politeness said thank you and we walked away laughing.

Everyone got together and we headed to a bar/pub just a few minutes away from the stadium for more drinks. We stayed at this place for an unknown amount of time and then when it was getting quite late we headed for a club. A club in Detroit. This will be an experience I thought. In fact I didn’t think that as I was quite drunk and didn’t really have any forethought on the situation at all. I just went with the flow.

The big group (which was around 15-20 or so) shrunk to around maybe 10 for the club. Some of these details might be wrong because as you can see, lots of alcohol was consumed. It somehow came to be that my cousin and I were at the front of the group as we were walking up to the entrance of the club. There was a big wall of black bouncers who took one look at this skinny white guy and that small white girl and they shook their heads. This shaking of the heads seemingly meant – you’re not coming in. No ID fail, no clothing requirement unsatisfied, no being too drunk – just no. I must have missed the No Honkies sign.

Luckily with this night being slightly organised we were in luck. Tara whose birthday it was had arranged for our entrance and we were let in a separate entrance by someone who worked within the club.

With the racist blockade behind us we walked in to the club and were led straight up some stairs and then some more stairs to a small bar on the top level of the club. I wasn’t sure if it was VIP treatment or for our safety. Our group were the only white people in the club which had hundreds of people in; and the locals didn’t seem too happy at our presence. I thought it was all hilarious. Our group had a great time at the bar; shots flowed, we were getting pretty drunk now. Pretty drunk usually means that I feel the need to dance. I informed people that it was dancing time and headed off down the stairs, luckily with people following.

The dance floor was pretty big but no one was actually on it; everyone was stood around the edge just looking menacingly at each other. The amount of alcohol in me helped me in not hesitating to work my way through the crowd and onto the dance floor first. I turned around and was joined by my cousin and some of the group. After around 5 minutes the dance floor was half full – who knew that a bunch of nearly-barred whities would have got the party going?

I don’t really recall how much longer we spent in the club but it was a fair while. Afterwards a few of us ended up in some all-night restaurant for some very drunken burgers and chips. There are some funny photos to accompany the drunkenness here so I shan’t go into much detail as they speak for themselves. Needless to say, we had been drinking for more than 12 hours = tomorrow is going to be a bad day!

Posted by Explorer_T 22:07 Archived in USA Tagged baseball club usa tigers drunk detroit Comments (0)

(Entries 11 - 15 of 31) « Page 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »